Friday, February 15, 2013




No calls but orcas nearby

Here is a note from Alert Bay. Out in the garden I heard a slapping/banging sound that seemed too familiar. Walking to the cliff overlooking Pearse Passage and Johnstone Strait I was amazed to see a male orca fully out of the water not 40 metres from shore!. He jumped again before I ran into the house to get Paul. We then went down towards the beach and saw at least two orcas further out by then. They carried on in the pass between Cormorant, Malcolm and Pearse Islands in the windy waves. Apparently, transients had been heard in Blackfish Sound at around 11am. This sighting was around 1:20pm. Quite the busy day again.

Helena and Paul in Alert Bay
15 Feb 2013 16:46:11 PST



No calls but orcas nearby

It is hard to say what direction these GI's were headed. Perhaps they are just milling in Johnstone Strait abeam the entrance to Blackney Pass. They've been quiet for an hour now.

OL Crew
15 Feb 2013 09:13:32 PST



Boat noise

I stand to be corrected. Thought I heard Aclan, but am now questioning it. Only Gclan calls this morning we believe.

Leah
15 Feb 2013 06:12:53 PST



Orcas near mics.

Sounds like these guys are back (A5s & I11s) and they're a the entrance to Blackney Pass in Johnstone Strait! Like clock work these days. Good Morning!

Leah
15 Feb 2013 05:34:08 PST

No comments: